"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." Ayn Rand

Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Hot Sunday in July



Welcome to high summer. I've decided to make an executive decision and not weed anymore today, at least until after dusk, because the sun is hot and the thermometer is reading up above 90 degrees. I'm not complaining, even though this summer has been especially hard with the addition of my oh-so-special hot flashes. My first summer without a uterus or ovaries. Woot woot.

It's been a tough couple of weeks for us, with cars breaking down, Richard traveling every week, working between sixty and eighty hours, and then coming home to me telling him "the Sable is in the parking lot of the KFC, I couldn't get it started", "I picked up the radiator for the truck so you can put it in now...oh, it's the wrong size? I'll go back and exchange it, so you can spend part of next weekend working on the truck". Max spending all his time in Nanticoke with Kala. Maggie either working or with friends. She also got a tatoo last week. The corn in the garden's growth seems to be stunted; however, the weeds are doing wonderfully. The cat peed in the family room somewhere. The pool is getting algae in it and needs vacuuming. The pool light doesn't work.

Ah, but wait. Just wait a minute.

Let's look at this another way. Richard is traveling a lot, but he has a job (unlike other people). He comes home after a few days away (Carol's husband just passed away). Cars can get fixed...at least we have a car that works most of the time, and soon we'll have new ones). Max is spending a lot of time out of the house, but it's nice to see him smile when he talks about Kala. Maggie is working, which means she will be able to pay off her debt to us. Maggie also has been smiling more lately, due to her friends and a crush she has on somebody. The tatoo...well, she's 18, and it's her body. She may regret it someday (I regret the one I got so many years ago), and I'll try really hard not to say "I told you so". So the corn is growing slowly. I can go down the road five minutes and get fresh picked corn. Weeding the garden gives opportunity to be outside in the fresh air and the sun. The cat...well, there's nothing good about cat pee. Chemicals will fix the pool. Max owes me for driving him all over creation and can vacuum the pool. The light in the pool will draw bugs at night...better we don't turn it on.

What changed my mood today, from looking at the glass half-empty to totally full...it was a bald eagle I saw today, flying about 30 feet above my car. It was so beautiful, so majestic. I watched it fly, just mesmerized by it. I've only every seen three others in the wild, and I always feel the same way...grateful, awestruck and thankful for my surroundings. It's such a powerful symbol to me.

It really put everything in perspective.

Thank you, Mr. Eagle.

Now, back to those weeds.....