"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." Ayn Rand

Monday, March 02, 2009

I'm So Glad It Snowed!


It really was a glorious snowfall, still pretty almost 10 hours later. We really thought we wouldn't see anything, because we never do. Boy were we surprised.


The birds somehow knew we had fresh birdseed, and we had a large group in the morning; by mid-afternoon, the big guys were here; lots of big blackbirds, but also grackles and red-winged blackbirds. We fed and watered them all; but I did put a secret stash on the porch steps for the little guys once the big guys came in. I absolutely love the junkos; they are my favorite year-round residents. Them and the cardinals.


Mookie had a wonderful time in the snow; it made us all think of Roxanne, and how she would suddenly become a puppy again when it would snow. I was really wishing Fina was here. I think she would have had a blast in this snowstorm. I'm sure she's in the middle of one too, and probably has more snow to play in than we have here; I just wish I could have seen it!

But, as much as I've loved this storm, I don't want to deal with the cold for months! It's going to be up in the mid-50's by the end of the week, and I'll appreciate that.

Wait, actually, for Richard and I, it's going to be in the low 80's; we're going to Florida on Friday, doing a job Friday, seeing my parents, and then leaving for West Palm Beach on Monday, to do another job before we fly home. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, and we're both looking forward to it! I'm hoping that it's still time for the strawberry festival, even though it's been a crappy year for them. We may have missed it. Last year when we went down, we got strawberries that were so incredibly good; they tasted like the first summer strawberries up here, or the first ear of corn that's local.

They tasted like summer.