"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." Ayn Rand

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Birthday Maggie

Wow. My daughter is 18. She went to her senior prom tonight, looking very much older than 18. But then, she got the giggles, and she looked way younger than 18.

I don't know if it's a Maryland thing, a southern thing....or just a today thing. But, my god, you would have thought that the Reverent Sun Myung Moon was having another mass-wedding at the Salisbury Civic Center. There were so many white gowns (suitable to be married in), white tuxes, top hats, tails and canes....I thought I had gone to bridesmaid hell. I hate to be so cynical, but this has become so out of control.

I'm not sure if it's the parents or the kids who need to outdo and outspend each other. There were limos with disco floors in them, $700 prom dresses, manicures, pedicures, professional make-up and hairstyling. Then there was flowers. And the dinner. And the hotel room in Ocean City tonight.

I don't want to say these kids aren't worth it. They are. But whatever happened to a nice dinner and a nice dance and that was prom?

Tonight we went to "Grand March", admission $5.00 each, to have the opportunity to see the kids enter as their names were announced. We got to see a disagreement over seats that went on to become a disturbance that only the sheriff could solve.

These kids were announced, and it was like a trunk show for Acme Formalwear. Tiaras, sparkles and glitter everywhere. Some of the kids looked like they enjoyed it. Most seemed so uncomfortable and were just trying to get through it.

Maggie, however, came out, and there were cheers and whistles from her friends in the audience. She just started laughing, and waving...she looked so damned happy. It was wonderful to see.

She called after Prom was over, and she said that she had had an awesome time...danced and danced and danced. I'm so glad it's going to be a great memory for her.

But I'm glad it's over. Too much stress. I feel like for the past week I've been running around town spending money and doing nothing else.