"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." Ayn Rand

Monday, May 02, 2005

The Joys of Home Ownership

Today I went to the bank and deposited $911.00 in dollar bills, quarters, dimes and nickels. This was money that we saved using the "change jar" technique, and also the "Dollar Bill Savings Program" (which is a great thing...you can never spend dollar bills. You can only spend fives, tens, twenties, etc. Dollar bills must be saved and put away in the proverbial cigar box).

This was supposed to be our cruise fund. Unfortunately, it became our roof fund.

Yes, we're having a new roof put on our house. To the tune of $6,000. Poor Richard is driving a twelve year old Sable with our daughter's old Good Charlotte bumperstickers, I'm switching off between my 1985 Dodge Ram Pickup and our twelve year old Volvo (whichever happens to be running that week).

But the roof is beautiful. It kind of made me feel like a grownup, telling my parents that we were putting a new roof on the house.

This has just been a rough patch of luck for our whole family...Murphy's Law times five. I keep telling myself that it's times like these that make you really appreciate the smooth sailing.

I'm not kvetching though.

I love my husband and my kids and my dogs and my cats and my garden and my house and my funny old truck. And they love me right back.

That's the sunshine peeking through the clouds right there.