"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." Ayn Rand

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Newsweek and Responsibility

I feel like I haven't written anything humorous or just interesting about my life in a while. I'm still stuck on this Newsweek story, and the subsequent fallout from it.

I can't get past the fact that a supposedly credible news source can just say "sorry" and a whole lot of people say that the apology is enough. It's not.

But I also see the images of the riots, the so-called jihad; the 15 people dead, the hundreds wounded. There's no "sorry" coming for these victims. It reminds me a bit of the L.A. riots, et. al., when something happens you don't like, you destroy your own world, your own town, your own people.

We live in an age of "it's not really my fault". Nobody accepts responsibility any more.

I have tried to teach my own two children that you must accept the consequences for your actions; whatever you do, good or bad, you own it.

It's hard to give them examples of this in life outside our house when everything is excused for one reason or another.

It makes me sick.